Friday, August 31, 2007

22 Of 23: Audiobooks

When it comes to audio books, I like to mention a few things prior to fulfilling the requested tasks for this Thing.

I wonder how libraries are really going to deal with the hardware and software aspects of cataloged audio books for their patrons. And that's if the libraries even decide they can afford such a thing, because right now it can't be that cheap, and I'm sure vendors will sell you their take at an arm/leg/head price.

Also how will they protect the files from patron pirating? I mean, if I choose to, I could go to a video rental joint, especially one that has a wide choice like Blockbuster, and go to town on renting and burning the DVD I choose at home. Heck, I now of some DVD unites that copy on the fly as needed. Yeah, anyone can do this if they read a manual, get enough disks, and take some time to watch and burn. Some units seem to allow you to make a copy as you watch, which is smart. So, what'll stop me from doing this at a library for its audio books or DVDs?

Ah, the good ol' conscience kicks in. Well, at least for me.

For Project Gutenberg I found this:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17401

No comments: