Friday, August 31, 2007

16 Of 23: Wiki'ing And Libraries

When I look at Wiki'ing, at how much I just massacred "Wiki", I see "Viking" for some reason.

Cool.

And actually, I'll use that as a way to discuss my thoughts about Wikis and libraries.

I've reviewed the links, and they're alright. A little too much detail from me.

I just can't get past something I really can't think too much on, despite the obliviousness of my intelligence, but also maybe because I'm not really a librarian.

Well, it seems that the data that Wikis contain are managed by the people who surf it themselves. They can create new content, manage it, link to it for whatever purposes, etc. I feel as if the data is Viking plunder, and you really don't knwo the original owner.

So you can't really just trust it 100%.

And it seems that libraries are probably in a constant need for information especially reference information like the data that is easily found in a Wiki.

Question is, is who really says that the data used for reference questions, or the data used for any library related reason, is right?

I mean is it now, thanks to Web 2.0 and Wikis that've spawned over the past few years, a real matter of who moderates said data?

Hmm, sound like a job for... "Specialized Librarians" across the world.

Ta-Da. Now all specialized librarians should "unite" I guess. Hmm, maybe they can get a cool "Watchtower" base of operations like the Justice League.

My thoughts end here, for now, but that'd be cool.

Maybe this is the future of librarians? They just don't have question coming in, they end up asking the questions, and they moderate what data they're responsible for.

Hmm, sounds Utopian.

No comments: